Monday, October 3, 2011

New Recipe--Roasted Corn and Beet Salad

Hey friends. So, I kinda made up a salad recipe tonight, and it turned out way better than it had any right to be. I know I'll forget the entire recipe if I don't write it down somewhere, so here it shall be written.

I give you full right to ignore this post.

So, I had lunch at Cannella's. I got a pastrami sandwich that came with a side salad. And in that side salad was a slice of beet. I've never cooked with a beet, so on my drive home, I grabbed myself some from Harmons.

Once home, I threw some corn, husks on, in the oven for about 15 minutes to roast. In the meantime, I chopped off both ends of the beet, and put them in a roasting pan, with just a little bit of water, covered it with foil, and slid them into the oven for about 35 minutes. They came out a beautifully deep red, and still just a bit firm.

Next, corn was cut off the cob, a half a beet was chopped up, and those went into a bowl along with some chopped swiss chard and green leaf lettuce. In the meantime, I quick boiled the beet greens (putting the stalks in for a few minutes longer than the greens) just until they wilted. Those got drained and squeezed dry, then thrown in the bowl as well.

Lastly, the dressing. I had arugula to use, so I grabbed a handful of that and put it into a food processor with a few leaves of basil, some pine nuts, salt, pepper, a splash of orange juice, and enough olive oil til the consistency looked dressing-y.

Guess what? It was a lovely, hearty, tasty and bright, dinner salad. So, so happy! And healthy!

Happy eating and kitchen-creating, friends!

Update: a made the salad again, and it was even better with a few changes. This time, I finely shredded the arugula and basil and added that to the bowl. Then, I made a dressing out of spicy mustard, orange juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, which got tossed well with all the veggies. Lastly, I homemade some croutons out of wheat bread, that was buttered and sprinkled with garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Yum!

No comments: