Monday, August 8, 2011

Pad Thai Noodles-Two ways

On my drive home a couple days ago, I stopped by the Southeast Market to get some pad thai noodles and cilantro. (side note: the Southeast Market's cilantro was the same price as Smith's and about triple the amount! Awesome.) I had a serious craving for comfort food and a little spice, and what better way than noodles and chili-garlic sauce?! I found this recipe for Vietnamese Noodle Salad a week or so prior and was dying to try it. Perfect.

I changed mine up a bit, using pad thai noodles instead of the rice noodles. I also julienned some zucchini and orange bell pepper instead of the cucumber, used LOTS of cilantro instead of mint, and topped it with chopped peanuts. And it was the perfect summer comfort salad! Yum!

For today's dinner, I had half the pad thai noodles (undressed) that needed to be used, plus some leftover barbecued beef from Sunday's dinner. So I thought, beef pad thai!

I sliced up a red bell pepper, some onion, and garlic and sauteed it for a bit. Then I added a little water, chili-garlic sauce, peanut butter (in lieu of chopped peanuts on top), and soy sauce to the pan, as well as my barbecued beef. The noodles were throw in next and mixed all together. Then a little lime juice and cilantro topped it off.

Result: so delicious! I was worried the barbecue sauce in the beef would throw off the pad thai flavor, but it gave the noodles a lot of depth. I'm rather proud of my new recipe.

It doesn't look very pretty, but promise, it tastes good.

Moral of the story: next time you want comfort food, think pad thai noodles!

No comments: