Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ultimate Geek Weekend

My geeky weekend got off to an early and incredible start with a Thursday evening viewing of Christopher Reeve's Superman.How does this movie not have a bigger following and hype?! It's absolutely amazing. It very handily made it into my list of top 10 favorite movies, I'd have to say. I need to go purchase it immediately, because I was wanting to re-watch it just minutes after it ended. Also, you cannot argue with John Williams' soundtrack. So awesome!
I recommend an immediate watching if you have not seen it. If you need someone to accompany you, please give me a call!!


My geek-culture-filled weekend continued on Saturday afternoon, when I joined some friends for a Quidditch game in Liberty Park. That's right, quiddich. In real muggle life! With broomsticks, and bludgers, and snitches! Oh my gosh, it was a beautiful dream come true.

The goal posts!

The players hold and ride broomsticks the entire time!
Players chose their own numbers! (Platform 9 and 3/4! What, what!)
Starting position.
They put their heads down to keep from seeing where the "snitch" hides.
If you look above the players, you can see the "snitch" (the guy in yellow shorts) running to hide behind-and later climb up into-the trees.
This is his leap over the fountain. Later in the game, he did another magnificent leap over that fountain again. The beauty (and ridiculousness) of that leap cannot be described.

And here's a clip of the game, with Kristin's commentary:




And to cap the absolute geekery/nerdiness of my weekend, I succumbed, albeit finally, to my good friend Kristin's requests, pleas, and demands that I play Dungeons & Dragons with her.
Yes, the ultimate role-playing game. We didn't go so far as to wear capes during our play, although it was seriously discussed. We discovered that there were only four available characters to play, but five people needing a character. So Kristin and I were jointly Lanin, the elf wizard. Sounds powerfully awesome, right?! Well, she wasn't. Our character ultimately kinda sucked.
But, through team work with the other characters-Rogue, Dothal, and Redgar-we destroyed the goblins, the archers, the Orc Mauler, and the Harpy. I tried to get our group to offer diplomacy to the Harpy, but the rest of them were blood-thirsty, and thus she was killed off.

I gotta say, it really was a fantastically awesome weekend...

2 comments:

Jamilyn said...

Looks like you found some new worth while hobbies... :)

Katie said...

LOVE IT!!!